Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Quiet Long Weekend

After working until after 6 pm on Friday, my weekend was good. My daughter is out of town - so you would think I would be partying or something like it since I have no parental duties. ha ha ha . I was just happy to RELAX! Work has been insanely busy over the past month and is not letting up.

The weather at the end of last week was just awesome. Saturday morning I got up and it was still awesome so I headed out for a 6 mile run. It was wonderful. This is also the start of my training for the Marine Corp Marathon. Exciting! I ran at my slow marathon training pace and felt really good afterwards. I wore my XU calf sleeves when I ran and then spent some special time with the foam roller after I showered and I have had no calf or shin issues at all.

Since I had lots of time on my hands for Sunday, I decided to ride my bike to my swim practice and back. I used one of the local multi-use trails for most of the ride. 1. to avoid some VERY busy roads between my house and the pool and 2. It is in the woods so it had lots of shade! Sunday started out cool, but got hot hot hot as the day progressed. Originally I planned to ride from my house to the trail and then to the pool, but I was running a bit behind in the morning so I drove to the trail head then road. I live about 6-7 miles from the trail head. So I didn't get the full mileage that I was intending for the day, but it was still a good ride. Swim practice was in the middle and was good as always. The pool water was cool too, unlike last week when it felt like soup. Before I made the ride back I stopped and had a yummy everything bagel with egg, cheese and bacon at Bethesda Bagels and an Orangina. The ride down I didn't see to many people, it was 7 am on a holiday weekend Sunday after all, but the ride back the path was a bit busier. I nearly ran over an infant that a parent was letting crawl on the path in a blindspot. Thankfully, I had slowed cause I thought I had seen something up ahead.

Sunday afternoon after I had showered and just before I took a nap on the couch, I had a feeling of total relaxation. It was awesome. I hadn't felt that in a while. It made for a good nap too! Then I was up and out to a 4th of July/40th Birthday party.

With the extreme heat of yesterday and being a bit tired from staying up late Sunday night. I just relaxed and did some cleaning tasks around the house yesterday. I did venture out in the late afternoon as I needed to go buy Sampson his dog food.

All in all a Great, quiet weekend complete with training!
I think I found my next Triathlon too - Naylor Beach in Virginia in September.

Back to work!


  1. running over the kid wouldn't have been your fault, but definitely bad karma! Way to stay alert, and great workouts!

  2. Sounds like a great holiday weekend. Used a 2XU calf sleeve on my left calf for 3 months during my last training cycle after a calf strain, and it worked wonders. Compression is my friend.
    Go Terps!! I was actually born in the Bethesda Naval Hospital many moons ago. Still have LOTS of relatives in southern MD.

  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.